Monday, October 12, 2009

My Business Cards Have Arrived

As I have previously posted, I am new to Grand View University, so some of my time has been spent ordering promotional pens and magnets, office supplies, reference material, and, of course, business cards.  In my profession, along with so many others, the business card is one of the most important things to have with you at all times.  As American Express used to say, "never leave home without it."  So when I was told that I had to wait until mid-September to order my business cards ( I started in August), I was somewhat worried about my interactions with potential students and employers.  In the past seven years, I have given out thousands of business cards, it's just something you have to do.  So the past two months have been have been, well, weird when it comes to my business card excuses.  At first, it was easy. "Oh, I'm sorry, I just started and haven't ordered business cards."  Then it turned into, "my business cards have been ordered, but not in."  I was beginning to think GVU was holding out to see how I was doing before they invested in business cards :)  Well, my business cards arrived this morning and I'm a happy camper.  It's amazing how much a person can rely on something so small.

After thinking about the importance of business cards, I will leave you with something I found while doing a bit of business card history research:

"Modern Business Card Etiquette and Format

Not only are elaborate rituals of presentation and reception followed in Asian nations but in many parts of the world it is rude to present your card with your left hand or to immediately put a card away upon receiving it. Internationally a card should never be used to take notes and all cards should be translated on the reverse side in the language of the nation in question. Cards should not be carried loose but in appropriate card cases and should be maintained in pristine condition. The general rule of thumb is that the card should be presented in the condition in which the owner himself would appear for a high level business meeting -- immaculate and behaving according to the manners of the host nation."

No comments:

Post a Comment