Thursday, September 24, 2009

Move Over Simon Cowell

Next week is Homecoming Week at Grand View University and it will be an exciting time for everyone on campus, especially the students. Grand View started a football team last year and it seems to have added to the "homecoming experience." Now, I've only been at GVU since August, but I've been told that, prior to adding football, the homecoming game was actually a soccer match. Nothing against soccer, but that just seemed a little weird to me. Although, they didn't have a football team, so what do you do? Anyway, the student body president contacted me a few weeks ago to see if I would like to be one of the judges for the street painting competition. I enjoy volunteering for these types of events, so I gladly said I would do it. I worked at Drake University for five years and they have a popular street painting competition during the Drake Relays in late April, but I never was asked to be a judge. That got me thinking...well, no one questioned me about my artistic ability (I don't have any) and if I have any experience judging a similar competition (I haven't), which really made me question the validity of the competition. That would be like American Idol asking someone with no history of being involved in the music industry to be a judge on the show...seriously, that would be like asking Ellen DeGeneres to be a judge...wait a minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment